Monday, March 08, 2010

Serious Fun

Our Santa Monica Girls basketball team, for the first time in our school's history -- since 1891 when we were hooping it up in long, wool black dresses and sporty hats (and you know I'm giving SAMO the benefit of the doubt that they even let us ladies look at a basketball then) --, we will raise a banner in the gym stating that our girls are the Southern Section Division 1A CIF Champions. We are the Champions! We start our state tournament at home on Tuesday. The night we won the CIF finals, we traveled down to Orange County in ancient school buses, yellow rounded bullet-type buses where the insides looked like vaults; the best that a shoe-string budget can buy. I haven't had my teeth rattled like that on a road trip since my own high school away games. Maya traveled on the team bus and Mina and I traveled on the family bus. There was a third bus that transported faithful students, and the entire boys varsity and JV teams. We brought the noise. We screamed, we stomped, we competitively bantered with the opposing crowd across the court. Man, I swooned when I saw our boys teams clustered together with their rally shirts and painted faces, jumping up and down and creating chants, stomping their feet. In the end, our girls were too strong. They played amazingly. Security wouldn't let us rush the court after the game. The post-game glory was for players, coaches and media only. I gave Mina the camera and told her to weave among the trees on the court and get us photos! They didn't stop her. Here the girls were posing for our local newspaper.

I love this picture of our star player, the one signed with a full scholarship to UCLA for next year. She already knows interview politics. All star athletes do, but I love her nervous tick of shoving her hands in her uniform like that. She does it during games too, sometimes. It's the only vulnerability she shows usually. All the players know Mina already. Here's Mina showing love to players she looks up to. I ask Mina, "Will you play that intensely when it's your turn?" And she says, "Shoot, more intense." I believe her. Here's Mina with our other star player, my favorite player. Both of these girls have a competitive intensity that is incredible to watch. I love when it makes people a little uncomfortable, like, yes we want them to win, but should young ladies act this way. And most of us shout, Most Definitely! Git 'em girls! We like our warriors with swagger, please. And we love them even more when they're gracious and loving to our warriors-to-be.

9 comments:

Maven said...

I'm proud of you.

domenica said...

Longtime reader here... I was hiking Griffith Park today and sent you some good vibes from Dante's view:)

Madame One Tree said...

This is a wonderful read. Congratulations to the SAMO Warriors with Serious Swagga! Congratulations to You. You own a huge piece of Swagga, yourself!

Diz Rivera said...

Thanks Mavie.

Hey D, nice to meet chu, and thanks! I think I felt them.

Thanks MOT. I'm still strutting high with my bronze.

Melinda said...

Agree re: the Swagga of Madness!

State tournament starts Tuesday -- as in tonight? Woot!! So psyched to hear how it goes!

jagosaurus said...

Hooray! Your head should be all swole up like a hot air balloon.* You're the bee's knees.

*I'd say it this way so you could enjoy the full benefit of my hillbilliness if I were there: "Yor haid should be all swoled up!"

Diz Rivera said...

I love your hillbilliness.

Yup! Tonight. On my way to the pep rally.

lagata said...

Woot Woot! Congrats to teh SAMO Warriors - I wish them success in the State Tourny!

And to you! How awesome is that!

Marigoldie said...

This is super awesome and sounds like a lot of fun. Hooray for Madness!