Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My First Anthem

Here's Linton Kwesi Johnson singing Five Nights of Bleeding from the Dread Beat An' Blood album. I listened to this cassette tape so often in my early high school years that when the cellophane of the tape finally got eaten by the tape player and unravled into a glossy, useless pile, I nearly cried. For all my revolutionaries at heart out there, can I get a Madness!

Almost 10 years ago, I bought the album again on CD and I listened to it on my way to work this morning. It made feel better.

7 comments:

Marigoldie said...

Ah, this is great. It's so revealing of teenage you. Love. Madness!

Madame One Tree said...

Rebellion rushin' down de wrong road, storm blowing down de wrong tree.....wow. I have never heard this artist before.


Gil Scott-Heron was my revolutionary poet of the time.

Melinda said...

Oh M. Would you have been friends with me if we were in high school together? Back when you were listening to this and I was listening to broadway musical soundtracks?

Diz Rivera said...

Thanks A.

Mme. One Tree: LKJ was out of London and kind of obscure. But GSH was the man too.

Melinda, without a doubt we would have been friends. Because I also knew every word to Man of La Mancha and Jesus Christ Superstar.

LeS said...

chin up love - i feel you...
oh and Madness...is this where you got it from? :)
excellent.

Diz Rivera said...

Actually, no LeS. ha. Madness came from the Mad Organica theme, but when I heard the song again I was all, doh! Always been drawn to the madness.

LeS said...

always and forever :)
thank goodness...

(and enjoy the hell out of your squaw, love!)