Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ladybug Prophecies

It's August 24, 1967
My mother's in labor
And it ain't no heaven.

Those were the first lines of a poem I wrote for my mother on my 11th birthday. On almost every birthday, I get the rhyme stuck in my head. But I've come so far. My birth was heavenly! Yes! At least now I think so.

I woke up this morning and when I went to the bathroom, a ladybug was sitting on the sink. How can I not believe that it was a good luck charm to pop off the year? I was thrilled to see it.

41's cool. It ain't giving me grief. What am I gonna do? I feel good, hopeful. We're having a lil vegan potluck later in our courtyard, and Husband took me on a date last night. We rode our bikes. My favorite kind of date. It's always my favorite part, the ride. Cruising my town, the sunset light spilling onto the roads and trees, a breeze lifting the conversation between us. Man, it's the breeze! The breeze of a casual ride soaks right into me.

Mr. Handsome. Off to a yummy dinner.Rolling along Ocean Avenue.My favorite view, on my fav form of transportation with Husband, my favorite adult.I think 41 is going to be more than cool. It's going to be great. The ladybug told me so.

18 comments:

kristen said...

cute photos, lady. happiest of birthdays to you! xo

Rebel Girl said...

happiness to you!

xo~

Maven said...

Happy birthday, mami. I'm sure you'll show 41 how to be awesome if it isn't intrinsically awesome on its own. XXXXX

Hil and Bob said...

Damn, ya'll are so good lookin'. Are ya all movie stars in california? Happy Birthday!!!! Please continue to rock, hardcore, sistah. My mom said that she felt the most beautiful around age forty, and then again in her sixties. Something to look forward to. Lovely, deep, natural, sunshiney, ladybug and firefly happy birthday.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday! i hope 41 is filled with excellence.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Madness. I am loving your cute little shoes.

Emilie said...

big <3 and very happy happy birthday to you.

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy birthday! I must also say, hot shoes!!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!

Xoxo on the shoes.

Carroll said...

Happy birthday to you, and here's to many many more years of happiness on this planet of which you take such care :-)

LeS said...

wow...has another popped by? happy 41, girly, it looks f-ing fabulous on you :) and SERIOUSLY, that is the best blog banner photo. Ever.

Marigoldie said...

It would make me feel good if there was a woman two years younger than I am who felt better about certain milestone birthdays because of my example...so I hope that you know that you do that for me. I think 41 is a good-looking number, too: that pointy four, that straight up 1. Love ya.

Diz Rivera said...

Thank you so much, my friends.

So far, so good on 41. And yes, it is a good looking #, right? Kinda stream-line without looking too serious.

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

happiest belated, madness!

Rennmaus said...

Happy belated birthday wishes!!! Congrats!!!

the library bird said...

"Ladybug Prophecies" is a great title for a book!

Kansas_Kate said...

Biking in pointy toes and kitten heels?!?! You California girls are just too cool! Those are some seriously gorgeous shoes.

Diz Rivera said...

Not as cool as the name Kansas Kate.