Thursday, July 31, 2008

This, Everybody, Is TeaCake

He t'aint taller than a stack of books. And he's the newest edition to our family.

TeaCake was rescued off the streets of L.A. on the fourth of July when he was only three weeks old. He and his three sisters had been abandoned. No one knows what happened to the mama. The kittens were taken to a local shelter that had no means of caring for infant animals. The shelter was planning to put the kitties down almost immediately. An organization called Best Friends swooped up the precious kitties, took them in and bottle fed them until they could be weaned. My friend Keith and his wonderful girlfriend Zoey took TeaCake and one of his sisters in to foster until someone would adopt them permanently. Keith posted pictures of the kitties every day, until I just couldn't take it any more. How is anyone supposed to resist a daily bombardment of this?

Husband is funny about new pets. He always fights me on getting them. He didn't want Lupe, definitely not Carmen, but now he loves those dogs like nothing else. The Sisters Pug howl with happiness -- howl! -- when he comes home. They don't howl for anyone else. I asked him why he was so resistant on getting a kitten and after a bunch of barking about another mouth to feed and another life to be responsible for he mentioned the fact that he is still broken up about Puffy. Puffy was our tabby rescue from years back. He died five years ago. Husband is still sore over. We all know Husband will fall hard for TeaCake. He ain't fooling anyone.

We are slowly introducing the lil' guy to the dogs. The pugs are so anxious to be all up in the kitty's face. TeaCake's like, What is up with these big-headed cats? But the dogs have been tremendously patient. They are willing and able to give this relationship a shot -- please, mami, let us just sniff him, JUST ONE TIME! -- but TeaCake is a little overwhelmed by them and the intro will go as slowly as it needs to.

Lupe is more proficient at patience. She and kitty got pretty close in our bed this morning, where we have early snuggle time. I built a little play pen for TeaCake near my desk. Poor pugs!
I named him TeaCake because of Zora Neale Hurston's novel Their Eyes Were Watching God. It's one of my favorite books of all time. TeaCake was a drifter that became Janie's true love. He charmed her, empowered her and brought her happiness.

Here's what TeaCake thinks of the book The Biology of Belief. I kinda feel the same. Here's a couple heart-melters for the road Welcome, little sweetheart. We are so happy that you are with us now.

Thanks so much to Best Friends and to Keith & Zoey for being so huge-hearted by giving TeaCake and his sisters a shot at not only a life, but a good one.


18 comments:

Keith Rocka Knittel said...

Such a nice post! It's so good to see the little guy in his new environment. He's going to have such a happy life, and we are so thankful to you and your wonderful fam for that! We love the pic of the playpen with longing pug eyes on the other side...HAHA! He looks so happy. We are too! xK+Z

SUEB0B said...

That is a cute baby! I hope he has a long and happy life with you.

I loved "Their Eyes Were Watching God," too.

Kathleen Stander said...

OMG, I LOVE your blog. "Found" it by searching for others who liked the book BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S.
You're an incredible woman. Wish I knew Jinxy.
Also, I adore the tattoos. I, however, am too chicken to get one.
Told myself I'd get one when I turned 40, but 40 came and went and I'm still pastypasty white all over. My oldest child, Laurie, got a beautiful phoenix tattooed on her back, shoulder blade to shoulder blade, on her 21st birthday. She was not only brave but ecstatic, like you've described.
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
I look forward to reading more of your stuff.
Enjoy Teacake!

Hil and Bob said...

Teacake! Love that! What a face-now I'm jealous. Pout. Stupid no pets policy apartment.

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! the cutness! there's nothing like kitten cuteness.

congrats on the newest addition and welcome home teacake!

all of our seven babes are rescues. six kitties and a big, goofy dog. i can't imagine life without the universe having brought each and every one of them our way.

Poundpapi said...

Poundpapi's got love for Tea Cake, and also for Their Eyes Were Watching God.

Unknown said...

He's adorable. We have our cat, Smokey the Cowcat, because I couldn't resist the kitten pictures either.

girl least likely to said...

oh teacake! you're precious!

bazu said...

Aw, TeaCake! He is too adorable. I love his long little ear hairs. Awwwwww. I'm squeeing. What a heart-warming story, too.

Diz Rivera said...

Thanks so much everybody. Lil TeaCake has the greatest disposition. So sweet and mellow.

Kate, girl, never too late to get a tattoo especially if you've always wanted one. Go.For.It. Who says you can't? Nobody!

Marigoldie said...

Welcome, TC!

Maven said...

OH MAN. You have no idea how much I squeeeed reading this post. We're loafing around in bed at a b & b in Montana and I kept making the Brit look at the pics. Good story, great name (I too love that book), AWESOME cat.

Kathleen said...

oh my...i would've been suckered in by those big blue eyes, too!

have you read "caramelo"? i have it next to my bed, too. sandra cisneros is one of my very favorite writers!

enjoy your little teacake. he is a cutie pie!!!

Maggii said...

OMG he's soo adorable....having a bit of kitty lust now.....my husband would kill me though....I've had to fight him for our cats too..

Hil and Bob said...

Miss you. Come back.

Ali Ambrosio said...

This warms my heart. It's exactly how we got our boys, Pria and Parceiro. Except someone had put them in a plastic sack, tied a knot, and thrown them still alive in the dumpster of the Indian Embassy. Somehow the cats - with eye still closed - managed to chew out of the bag and attracted my friend with their crying while she was walking by on the sidewalk. They are the best cats ever, and I've had cats my entire life.

Diz Rivera said...

Aah, great story Ali. I got the chills from it. Hooray for your kitties and you saving them!

Anonymous said...

TeaCake is such a cute beauty. The kitty is so lucky to have found you!!!!
I wish you tons of fun with the cute kitty!!!!