Saturday, July 26, 2008

So, Getting Back to the Animals . . .

The Prevention of Farm Animal Cruelty Act that Maya and Mina and I have spent some time working on -- the thing I walked the marathon for -- has made it on the November ballot. It's called Prop 2. All you California voters please vote Yes on Prop 2! The campaigning has begun and the big Cali farms are starting their mega-dollar campaign against us. Since California is the largest agricultural state, the big farms will have to spend a lot of money to get a pig a tiny bit more comfortable. Poor farms. Poor evil farm slum lords trying to bust an animal's will.

The girls and I are still in the fight.

Ya'll know how I've been about baking, but a woman called me the other day and asked if I would donate some goodies for her Prop 2 fundraising party. Dang, I couldn't say no. I made the famous chocolate chip cookies, fresh ginger-molasses cookies and a lemon-coco bundt cake. They came out ridiculously good, and of course I tested, and I'm paying a little price right now for it, but I'm sucking it up for the cause.
Yesterday, Mina and I went to Animal Acres because the girls were asked to be in a public service announcement commercial for Prop 2. It was run by Dr. Pia Salk who is a psychologist who specializes in the human-animal bond. She is also the niece of Jonas Salk. She lectures on social justice for animals, often controversially. Here's one of her talks, if you're interested. Yesterday, Dr. Salk interviewed children about animals for the PSA. Dr. Salk was awesome, the questions were great and Mina, the smallest and seemingly the most informed, was a superstar. I could barely hear because I wanted to stay out of the mix, but I could hear just enough. I could hear Mina say things like, "Animals aren't here for us to eat. They're here to pet and be around us." And, "We have the same thing in common with animals: We're alive, that's why we should treat them the same." "When a baby cow is taken away from its mama, it's . . .it breaks their heart." "A chicken doesn't like to be in a cage and they don't want to watch the thing (egg) roll away from them that was inside of them and then it goes away." She spoke with Dr. Salk for a long time, thoughtfully and clearly. I was choked up several times. I think she got to Dr. Salk too. I told Maya all about our day. Since she's in Las Vegas she couldn't participate. I knew that she'd be upset not being able to be there because I don't know anyone more willing to ham it up for animal rights. But maturely and graciously Maya said, "I'm really proud of Mina for representing us well." I said, "That's really cool of you to say, Maya." Then she said, "Just next time, get me on dang commercial!"

Here are some other pictures from the day.

Mina waiting her turn.

They were eating. They didn't want to talk to Mina.
Another new baby, Pixie.

The roses are coming in at Animal Acres.

10 comments:

Hil and Bob said...

I've never seen a more convincing face on a spokesmodel before. Rock on, Mina!

Keith Rocka Knittel said...

now the photo and the pig mic stand make more sense! mina rules. her comments are incredible. my favorite : "they're here to pet and be around us."

Melinda said...

I want Mina's autograph. Do we get to see the PSA?

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Mina (*and* Maya for the sisterly props :-) )

You've got my vote, Madness -- all the way from nor. cal. :-)

Carroll

Diz Rivera said...

Thanks everybody. Mina was so awesome.

I'm not sure yet when and where the PSA will be played, but once I find out I'll definitely post.

YAH Carroll! Thanks so much for your support.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Way to go!! What an honor for your little girl!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh my, I am constantly impressed by your children!

Deirdre Cross said...

Your family is SO awesome!

Diz Rivera said...

Thanks TofuMom, Melisser and Deidre Jean!

Anonymous said...

I so love how you are helping animals...
It also breaks my heart when I read/hear about animals suffering....
Today we can eat so healthy and yummy without eating animals....