Sunday, December 10, 2006

Self Portrait - Red Altar to Madness the Athlete


I am an athlete though this desciption has faded to a blur over the years. I'm disappointed that I haven't honored it enough. If being an athlete has saved my life a few times over, it seems like I should build a gigantic altar to my athleticism -- no matter how waning -- and light candles nightly and chant chants and bring fresh cut flowers in thanks. Or at the very least, get my ass moving.

I took up running. And I've been circuiting the Adelaide Stairs. And I've started a grueling core regime. I just became tired of putting off my big fantasized Return to Athleticism so one October morning before sunrise I just laced up my shoes and went. I walked some blocks and I ran some blocks until one morning I could run the whole thing. Then I added some blocks. On the stairs too, I've slowly added sets. It's been really hard. Almost discouragingly so. The hill is so steep after a long amount of time, as I get older, and I've wondered a few times why this is important. But it just is. I just want to take the athlete off the side-lines.




More red self portraits here.

5 comments:

deezee said...

eek. I know those stairs. They know how to humble us. Congrats on your dedication.

Anonymous said...

i am in love with this photo. I love the blue on red, how vivid it is.

Anonymous said...

ohhh the memories! nice pix!

Anonymous said...

I love that last line....wanting to take your athelete off the side lines, yes!!

Anonymous said...

this photo is so cool! and it feels good to move :)