Tuesday, August 01, 2006

self portrait tuesday

I had taken a break from SPT because of computer issues. I still can't properly download pictures on my new set up at home, but I'll draw from my photo well just to get back in the game. This month's theme over at Self Portrait Challenge is Enclosed Spaces.

This picture was taken in the last fifteen minutes of a five hour tattoo session. I am on my elbows in this picture, but the majority of the time my chest was pressed against my thighs, up until I thought my hip flexors had fused to a permenant 15 degree angle. In this picture, I was ready to punch this guy in the face. I kept telling him that too. During these five hours, I felt trapped in a near-fetal position. I thought I would just day dream about a million things while the artist did his thing, but I could not get a steady fantasy reel going because of the pain. I could only meditate in swirls of color. I had to escape deep in my mind because I felt folded up and put in a box.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Egads, I know (and miss) the feeling. The best part is the adrenaline let-down afterwards. It's like you've been in a good fight.

(missed you, by the way)

Melinda said...

Oh sweet Jesus, ow. I think I have to go lie down now.

kiki said...

what a gorgeous tattoo

Karen said...

I love my own tattoo but it isn't nearly as large. I admire your bravery and pain tolerance!

GJ said...

Unreal.

Tish said...

I'm sure it was painful, but oh what a beautiful tat!

Deb R said...

Damn! It turned out gorgeous, but still...DayUm!!!

Diz Rivera said...

HA - well, thanks. I lolololove thoughtful bodyart so it was worth the pain, for me at least. My birthday is coming up and I hope to add to the full-back piece then. I'll share photos when I do.

kristen said...

so cool girl, so cool. i love your tattoos and i hope to get more tattoos myself, very soon!

LeS said...

Simply beautiful, M.

I find the body art addictive and am holding out (for now) at two. We'll see how long I last.

Sounds as if you are well and that makes me happy. I am so with you on the "picking battles" thing with the offspring. Also relieved that PickleBoy won't need to shave his face for three or four more years.

I like how we AND my only and your oldest kid are the very same age :)

Michelle said...

The tattoo is impressive as is your ability to withstand the process for 5 hours!

Tammy Brierly said...

Beautiful tat...ouch!

Warriorwife

dani said...

my god it's so huge....brave woman!!!!i love tattoos but hate that sort of pain and now hearing about the wiping - well that's me done.