Monday, April 03, 2006

self portrait tuesday

*UPDATED WITH MORE PHOTOS*

The April theme over at Self Portrait Tuesday is documenting Silly.

Personally I don't think dressing up is silly. I've been known to take it very seriously, and I'm actually very bummed that campy lip-synching is not a competitive sport. I've always been a lover of wigs and dress-up themes. Thank god for halloween or then I would look a little, y'know, silly. Since Mandy moved away from me, I have not had as much of a chance to dress up. This makes me sad. Maya and Mina like to dress us too, but they really aren't on our level yet. Here are just a couple photos from past years.

This is husband and I at an 80's party a few years ago. I was a Siouxie Sioux fan club president and he was Morris Day. I hot curled his hair, shaped his 'stache and drew on freckles. He eerily channeled Morris. I think it was the ascot. I loved this wig so much -- the cut and color -- that I really thought long and hard about how to incorporate it into my everyday life. I wore it to a club once and then passed it down to the girls who really know how to fuck a wig up. There may be a lollipop stuck in it right now. *sweet, heavy sigh*



When I worked at the Big Corporate Job, one Halloween I had my whole purchasing department dress as tragic beauty contestants. I was Miss Understood. Mandy was Miss Demeanor. Others where Miss Hap, Miss Conception. I even got our CFO to dress in drag. He was Miss Ter.




Mandy and my big claim to fame -- in our minds -- was a Halloween drag lip synch contest we performed in for years. We thought we knew drag better than anyone. Mandy would come up with brilliant ideas and I would choreograph elaborate dance numbers based off of real life videos or films. Together we were unstoppable. This was the year we did Chicago. Mandy looked so much like Velma Kelly it was scary. Here I am as the Mama Morton character, loosely based. Any time my boobs get wrangled into a corset, they act as extras in the performance. I should have been billed as Miss Morton and her Mamas.



This was the year we were The Britney's. Three of us dressed as different aspects of Britney Spears and we gave an intricate and profound performance that year. I have to admit, our dancing was so hilariously on-point and in-synch that we really should've taken the act on the road.



And this was our first year in the contest. We performed the modern version of the Moulin Rouge song. Here I am shyly performing Pink's portion of the program. We knocked that shit out of the park that year.


Silly? I think not.

19 comments:

kristen said...

You and husband are HOT! How cool is he as Morris Day ~ oh ee, oh ee, OH!
All of your costumes are so creative Madness, never the fool or foolish....yours are creative and always good, esp. the tragic beauty contestants. Many of those same names are now being used for the women's roller derby association. (=

Marigoldie said...

This is what I call LIVING. All of these are impressive, but your idea of being The Britneys is particularly good. That's art.

Also, how lucky are you to have a man who gets deeply involved in your projects?

Anonymous said...

Not silly. Very, very serious.

angela said...

fabulous!

Heather said...

Wow. how fun, You look hot in all those costumes!! I love the tragic beauty queen theme, that's so funny.

Laini Taylor said...

Whoa, you do love to dress up! And sexyyy! Looks like so much fun -- I love the wig, too. Ever since trying on a blue one a few weeks ago, I too ahve been pondering how to incorporate it into my life, but sigh, my life has little space for blue hair.

Deb R said...

Oh man, I love ALL these photos! I look at one and think it's the best and then think, oh no, THAT one is...well, no, maybe THAT one. You are super-creative. Love it!

PS...I would dearly love to see a group shot of the tragic beauty contestants.

Anonymous said...

Like you (apparently), I believe that fake hair really makes the costume. (I'm lucky, though: opera singers get to wear costumes and wigs more often than most people.) Many years ago, I strapped on a fake braid to play Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman and I never looked back. Hmm. I may have to post a pic of myself as Frida Kahlo.

Heidi R. said...

you are so freaking hot......and you look awesome in all your costumes!

Green Whale said...

You don't cease to amaze me! And those legs of yours...

SUEB0B said...

Lord a mighty, Madness! You are brave AND hot. Ejole!

Anonymous said...

you. are. phenomenal.

Melinda said...

Mis Ter? Heee! You crack my shit up.

GJ said...

Oh my word....that is AWESOME. Love the wigs....love the poses....love the Miss Ter.

Tina said...

You are just so much FUN. I wish we could hang out and drink Cuba Libres!

autumnempire said...

fierce as fu_k. smart too.
I love it.
halloween is really better as you get older.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

these are simply fantastic. love it. love it. you are so sexy and funny. a truly wicked combination.

andrea said...

well, you are just killing me with all of this. but as much as you are killing me, your husband as morris day? I'M DYING.

Zarah said...

BRILLIANT!
I love these costumes - they're awesome - and you wear them sooo well. WTG! :)