Monday, January 09, 2006

self portrait tuesday

This is my second entry for the Personal History Theme given by our friends at Self Portrait Tuesday.

Three Generations of Creative Hands

My mother and I do not look alike. She is tiny and straight shaped. I am tall and curvy. She is light; light skin, light red hair, see-through eyes. I am dark haired, dark eyed. She has thick wavy hair. I have fine, pin-straight hair. We have the same face shape- I inherited the strong Irish chin - but most notably, we have the same feet and hands. It always seemed funny that I had such tiny hands and feet on my body. But I see her there, in my hands, and I have to remind myself that they are the hands of an artist, and that I can create my own beautiful life with them.

12 comments:

Heather said...

I love the paint, and all the creative hands, creative spt

kristen said...

This is SO incredible; creative and touching and something that is tangible for you. Great SPT!!

Anonymous said...

A Beautiful post, sometimes contrasts can connect us as much as similarities.

athena said...

what a beautiful touching entry.

Marigoldie said...

This may be my favorite of all your fabulous SPs.

Heidi R. said...

love this SPT...very cute idea!

Caroline said...

Fabulous to have all your hands together! (I know that I have the same hands as my mother had but no photo to show it!)

Alexandra Baptista said...

Congrats, loved the idea. But who belongs the hand that is missing?

Diz Rivera said...

Hi Alex, welcome from Portugal! Two hands are my mother's. The painted hands are of my oldest daughter Maya. The two little hands are my younger daughter Mina, the one hand in the middle is mine. My other hand is snapping the photo.

Misty Mawn said...

Wonderful idea!!! Perfect for this SPT! I think the hands can tell a lot about a person!

Alexandra Baptista said...

Tanks, i thought so.
Thanks for the comment on my blog and happinesses for your creative family (8 hands).

andrea said...

lovelovelove this. beautiful hands in so many shapes, with so many differences but all with family blood.

I love this.